Friday, February 2, 2024

The Secret Shopper Experience.

 For this project I went to a public library I have been to only a couple times before and where I knew no one would know me. It also helped that it was 15 minutes away so not too far either. 

When I entered the library I tried to be inconspicuous by browsing the library before I actually went to the desk and asked my questions. Before I reached the desk the librarian greeted me and asked if there was anything she could help me with. I told her I was trying to find a book to read and that I would love a recommendation from her. She asked me what I felt like reading and I explained how I was hoping to find a good psychological thriller. When searching for a book on Goodreads she allowed me to watch what she was doing while she also explained it. I felt this was great because otherwise, I would have felt a bit awkward standing there while she silently searched. We browsed the books Goodreads offered and I found one that sounded really interesting called "You’re Family Now" by Jack Stainton. She searched her library's catalog for the book but said they did not have it yet. She then asked if I wanted to put a hold on it, but I told her I wasn't from around where the library was located so she helped me look for the book from my public library instead.

Overall I am very impressed with the way she helped me find my book. She made me feel listened to and allowed me to be involved with the process of finding a book. She also showed dedication in helping me get that book by going out of her way to search my public library's catalog for it. If I had to, I would rate this interaction 5/5 stars.

3 comments:

  1. Emilia,

    I think it's excellent the the librarian showed you what she was doing while she was doing it. This makes the patron feel less alienated and "othered" and also invites the patron further into the librarian's world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grace! You're absolutely right! Our library subscribes to Novelist (thank goodness!). Both employees and patrons can use it, so often, when I'm trying to find a book for a patron using that database, I show them what I'm doing, and I tell them they can do this all on their own if they choose to!

      Delete

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to marketing our fiction section, word of mouth/providing readers advisory services have been successful for our small libra...