Saturday, January 27, 2024

Week 3 Prompt Response

 1. I am looking for a book by Laurell K. Hamilton. I just read the third book in the Anita Blake series and I can’t figure out which one comes next!


BarbabThe fourth book in the Anita Blake series is The Lunatic Cafe


2. What have I read recently? Well, I just finished this great book by Barbara Kingsolver, Prodigal Summer. I really liked the way it was written, you know, the way she used language. I wouldn't mind something a bit faster paced though.


You should try The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. It has the same lyrical and lush feel as Kingsolver’s books but it’s more fast-paced. 


3. I like reading books set in different countries. I just read one set in China, could you help me find one set in Japan? No, not modern – historical. I like it when the author describes it so much it feels like I was there!


I recommend The Teahouse Fire by Ellis Avery. It’s a very descriptive story set in 19th century Japan. It also includes a bit of mystery so that’s a bonus!


4. I read this great mystery by Elizabeth George called Well-Schooled in Murder and I loved it. Then my dentist said that if I liked mysteries I would probably like John Sandford, but boy was he creepy I couldn't finish it! Do you have any suggestions?


I recommend Ruth Rendell! Like Elizabeth George she writes character-centered mysteries and also writes with a similar type of investigative team with wonderful give-and-take interactions.  


5. My husband has really gotten into zombies lately. He’s already read The Walking Dead and World War Z, is there anything else you can recommend?


I recommend the As The World Dies series by Rhiannon Frater. She offers fast-paced but vivid stories set in a zombie apocalypse and morally questionable characters. 


6. I love books that get turned into movies, especially literary ones. Can you recommend some? Nothing too old, maybe just those from the last 5 years or so.


Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus is a very interesting read. It’s literary-based and was published in 2022. Not only that but they recently made it into a miniseries!


7. I love thrillers but I hate foul language and sex scenes. I want something clean and fast paced.


The Black Midnight by Kathleen Y’Barbo would be a great choice. It’s clean, chaste, and is a very thrilling book.


When I usually look for books to read I tend to lean towards Goodreads. Although I have found others that help in looking for books I usually prefer Goodreads cause I can see what other people’s reviews of books, I can keep track of what I have read, and I can see my friend’s recommendations. Although I admit now that I have tried Novelist, I wish my library would get it. It’s really amazing how many filters they have so that you can find the exact type of book you want. 


1 comment:

  1. Excellent prompt response! I think the books you pick fit the questions to a T. What resources did you use to help find your selections?

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to marketing our fiction section, word of mouth/providing readers advisory services have been successful for our small libra...