Thursday, April 4, 2024

Week 13 Prompt.

Both personally and as a librarian, I believe that YA/New Adult books and graphic novels are very legitimate choices for adults to read. I myself read YA/New Adult books because even though I am 25 years old and considered an “adult”, I still relate more to that genre than I do with normal adult books. With graphic novels I believe that there is a unique way of storytelling and importance to them. One you will not find in regular books. Not only do you read the words but you are also able to experience things in more detail because of the art that is with those words. Many of the adult patrons I serve at my library would also agree with me. 


I feel that we can work to ensure that people who love these genres are served by created more understanding on the importance and beauty of these genres. We can do special book programs that allow patrons to try these genres they otherwise wouldn’t read or pick, we can create displays that show graphic novels can be for adults (for example, including Maus I & II in a WWII display in the adult department), and many other ways. Basically I feel that if we can integrate more of these genres into regular adult programs/displays/exposer, maybe more people will understand why others love these genres.


3 comments:

  1. Discussing the importance of these genres is a great idea on how to support the people that read them! I like the idea of special book programs and adding book displays full of graphic novels. There are so many books being made into graphic novels now that I'm sure one could be found on just about any subject!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your ideas of helping patrons who avoid the YA/NA genres get exposed to them through genres they already enjoy. I agree with you-- I'm 24 but I haven't moved past NA because the characters are at the same point in time as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the young adult genre because of the innocence of the main characters. The coming-of-age stories where there is some moral dillemma or life changing decision. This should be not just be geared to the younger generation; adult have been in those shoes and have felt torn at which direction to go in life..

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to marketing our fiction section, word of mouth/providing readers advisory services have been successful for our small libra...