Friday, March 22, 2024

Week 11 Prompt

 Ebooks and audiobooks are a part of our landscape. What does the change in medium mean for appeal factors?


For Ebooks, I believe the appeal is somewhat greater than a regular book. It’s easier to transport, you can keep more books on your device, and each book can be changed when it comes to accessibility needs. For example, bigger text for people with worse eyesight. 

When it comes to audiobooks, I’m not much of a fan of them but I have heard patrons say that it appeals to them more because they can listen to them when they work or drive, people who are blind can still read their favorite books, and that some narrators and audio sounds help them get more into the stories. 


If you can't hold a book and feel the physical weight of it in your hands, how does that affect your knowledge of the genre?


Although I love the feel and, admittedly smell, of books I don’t think it has any effect on how I think of the genre. Nor have I heard any of my patrons any changes in their perspectives on it. Although Ebooks and Audiobooks are different I feel that I and my patrons can respect it as part of the genre as a whole.  


How about readers being able to change the font, line spacing, and color of text - how does that affect pacing and tone?


I feel that, at least in my mind, changes to text and line spacing can quicken the pace of the book from either being quicker, with small text and shorter spacing, or slower, with bigger text and closer spacing. However, the color of the text and it’s background is nice for when your eyes need a break and have less strain. I know many people, myself included, who use white text on a black background when reading because it has less strain on them and allows them to read longer. 


How about audiobooks? Track length, narrator choice, is there music?


One of the main reasons I don’t like audiobooks is because, depending on the narrator's voice or audio additions, it is really hard for me to get into or concentrate on the story. However, many patrons have mentioned to me that these are the things that help them get into the story more. 


2 comments:

  1. It makes a lot of sense on why you don't like audiobooks, and I commend you for still being able to identify the appeals that others have for those items in a collection. I have had experiences with patrons and even coworkers that feel that because they aren't interested in that format for a book, no one is, and that isn't fair for those who do enjoy them. As I constantly say to my coworkers, don't yuck someone's yums!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Audiobooks aren't for everyone, but like Tera said, great job still being able to talk positively about the appeals. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Week 15 Prompt

  When it comes to marketing our fiction section, word of mouth/providing readers advisory services have been successful for our small libra...